Friday, January 23, 2009

Greetings from Kansas

A lovely Japanese OShogatsu (new years) meal made by none other than my lovely wife Shigeko.


Our Flowers and decorations for Oshogatsu

This is the group of students I study Tea with at Kansas State. Ohno Sensei is in the green Kimono.

This is from the 2008 spring Festival. I was host for the Usucha demonstration. we had about 100 people viewing for each demo.

The video screen, while helpful for the people in the back, did give it a sort of weird blade runneresque feeling. Those of us actually doing the demonstration did manage to ignore it pretty much the whole time.

Hello everyone,

My name is Jeff, you can call be brewdude, and I am addicted to the Japanese Tea Ceremony. Hollix has graciously allowed my posting right here so I will stop in from time to time to talk about Horai mid-west. I am living in Manhattan Kansas going to grad school and still studying tea, though not as much as I would like. Right now I am practicing the usucha temai for ryurei (the table) The university owns a nice ryurei set and we are using it in the Kansas State University Japanese Festival this april. I hope to have pictures to follow. For now I will throw a couple from past Kansas tea events in.

grr, now I see the silly things but they are ABOVE the intro. It might take a while to get this thing down

Oh and Hollix feel free to shrink, remove or spindle any of the pics I put up here as I know we have limited storage space

Next time I will remember to add the photos before the text.

Jeff

1 comment:

Holly Harvey said...

Thank you for the post and photos! It's nice to see what you've been doing. Shigeko made a lovely Oshogatsu meal. Best wishes for a studious, prosperous and wonderful new year!